Impact created by Planting Rare Endangered Trees at a Sacred Grove in Northern Malabar
The Campaign in this name will attract many people in India and abroad including ‘The Trillion Tree Campaign'. The GOD tree campaign is being promoted with planting of 100 selected RET trees in degraded private and community forest lands including sacred groves. The Campaign has high relevance in the context of the UN decade (2021-2030) on Eco-restoration and the SDG 15.
Cherish Expeditions Sacred Grove Warriors and students will undertake the restoration of the selected groves. Restoration of the degraded ecosystems and connecting the fragmented forests has become urgent in the Western Ghats- the most densely populated global biodiversity hotspot. The UN has declared 2021 to 2030 as the decade of eco restoration with a set of targets to be achieved by taking combined actions.
The team will engage in educating the concerned Local Self Governments to achieve the following 6 targets of the SDG 15.
- Target 15.1: Conserve and Restore Terrestrial and Freshwater Ecosystems
- Target 15.2: End Deforestation and Restore Degraded Forests
- Target 15.3: End Desertification and Restore Degraded Lands
- Target 15.4: Ensure Conservation of mountain Ecosystems
- Target 15.5: Protect Biodiversity and Natural Habitats
- Target 15.6: Promote Access to Genetic Resources and Fair Sharing of the Benefits
The data compiled under this project will be used by the team to prepare evidence-based case study materials meant for communication, education and public awareness.